20 November 2006

The Whanau Visit, Levin and Popa Casanova.

And now I have a little more time .... it's time to review the last couple of days of life in Corrynland.

Thursday night, as I've mentioned, the cousins, the brother and his girlf arrived for a few days on their way to the South Island. Liz, it turns out, is a big Lord of the Rings fan, and so has loved being in Wellington despite the bad weather. It's too bad the LotR exhibition at Te Papa finished. But I've showed her a couple spots where people told me it was filmed (I was still living in Hamilton, not down here at the time).

Friday I got up at 5:30am (!!) for collecting on Street Day (see Karen's blog for more on that) but I was at the Railway station with Janet. It's amazing how many people are up at that time of the morning. When I got home, we kinda mucked around the place and then headed off to Kelly and Tom's for dessert. Great catching up with them. They are such lovelies!

Saturday, as I mentioned, we went to Te Papa and the Cable Cars, looked at the shops in the CBD.

And yesterday (Sunday) we went to Levin, where I was both leading and preaching. A few funny (and not so funny) things happened there.

Like Karen gave me the lapel mike so I went to the toilets to put it on (under the blouse and skirt) and talked to the ladies for a while in there. Then when I came out I had several people tell me the mike had been on and everyone in the main hall had heard!! Hahaha. Funny.

I did the children's story in the meeting and didn't realise how close to the edge of the platform I was and my heel (yes that blasted tiny stilletto) went off the edge. Fortunately I didn't lose my balance and go completely backwards into the band. Funny.

I preached the whole sermon, only to have Karen whisper to me when I sat down, "Your mike was off the whole time." No one told me. Not so funny. Especially when being assessed.

And at the end of the meeting, Karen said, "When is your verbatim?" D'oh. I was meant to video the whole meeting to transcribe it later for assessment. Not funny.

But I showed a clip from Ice Age in my sermon and I had Joel, who is not quite one, watching it and giggling. I was the first sermon he listened to! Funny.

Oh and one final note to end on, some news Mum texted me last night about Popa ... Apparently he has become somewhat of an attraction at his retirement home. He told Mum the old ladies are all hitting on him. Haha. Nana always said these old lady widows were always after Popa. Mum told him it's only been four months since Nana died so he can't go there and he said he's living to 100 and has 7 years. I find it quite funny but I'm not sure I would actually like it if Popa remarried in his 90s.

Anyways, there's a brief rundown on my life the last few days. I'm still tired and feeling in need of a holiday after the last couple of weeks but I'm going to chill today once the whanau have left.

No comments: