24 November 2006

The face it aches

Oh the things you do at College that you never thought you would do again!

It has been over a decade since I played a brass instrument (cornet to be precise) and now I find us getting a small group together to play at a Bible in Schools production next Tuesday. The funny thing is that most of us haven't played in years and let's say if my playing today is a glimpse of what Tuesday holds in store, it is going to be very interesting indeed!

I have pretty much completely lost my lip and struggle to reach the higher notes unless it is going up on a scale. And my attempt wasn't overly helped by my session all cracking up laughing, which of course got me going too - and have you ever tried to blow an instrument while laughing?!

Kevin gave me his big Eb Bass to have a go and it took me the better part of five minutes to find C. Sheesh that is a big monster of an instrument and one huge mouthpiece. The entire bottom half of my face feels tingly and numb.

Anywhos... it's for the children! (That's what I keep telling myself) so I'll be practicing this weekend, and come Tuesday I will have that cornet bringing a smile to my Dad's face - one way or the other!

1 comment:

CheekyUkie said...

haha you should just do my trick and say you can't play any instruments... hmmmm I might have to sneak over and watch ya'll concert moahehehehehehe...