20 June 2007

Babysitting the Stevens: Day One

Yip... Si and Sue have headed off for a three day tramp up Mount Hector and I accepted the role of babysitting Kendal and Monique, aged 5 and 3 respectively. I have been in charge now for 2 and a half hours and have a new found respect for single parents.

Trying to keep to their morning routine was harder than I expected because they just wanted to do the fun things we usually do together. And Kendal mucked around like she had all the time in the world. Needless to say, I was exasperated greatly when, as Stu and Naomi came to take her to school, she pulled out her hair (that I had spent a great deal of effort in doing!) so I had to do a rush job. Teach me for being creative on long hair!

I managed to get jackets and gloves on, only Kendal would wear a beanie, but this was more than I had been told to expect so I counted my blessings. But then trying to get Niquey to walk with me to Educare was slow. She wanted to ride her bike, which we discovered outside, thus covered in thick ice. So trying to tell her she couldn't ride it, and then not to play with it because we had to get to kindy asap ... sigh ... thank goodness Annette and Emily wandered past so I could sidetrack her attention.

So here I sit, pondering the happenings for dinner, and when I am going to fit in my shower. At least they are currently fed and dressed and content. That is my aim for the next 3 days. I'll let you know if I succeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

All I can say is good luck to you and I hope you make it out in one piece :-)

Look forward to hearing how it goes!!!