2 May 2007

Red Shield Appeal

Love it or hate it, I just completed my stint at my 26th Red Shield Appeal. Over the years, I have had my share of excuses about why a person couldn't donate (I sometimes wonder if they realise it's not the end of the world and I'm not going to stalk them until they give.) I had a couple of good moments that I just had to share.

The first was a comment from a mother to her adolescent son, "Don't stare. We'll have to give them our change." An absolute classic.

And the second was a conversation with a guy who came out of the supermarket and it went along these lines:
Him: "Sorry, I have no money."
Me: "No worries."
Him: "It's okay cos I work for the Sallies."
Me: "Oh that's cool."
Him: "Well, I'm doing community service."
Me: "Okay." What am I meant to say next, I wonder.
Him: "And I have no money because I spent it all on beer." He motions to his supermarket purchase.
Me, as he hops on his bicycle to ride away: "Well, have a good evening."
Within in a minute he rides back. He forgot his helmet and doesn't want to be fined by the cops.
Strange conversation. I can't help but smile. God bless that man for lightening up my supermarket appeal stint.

I also met a man who worked for nearly a decade at the Training College, and two Catholic sisters who wouldn't stop raving about the Army, amongst others. Overall I thought it was a fairly quiet afternoon collecting. Then Simon and Stu came to relieve me and Lachlan, and with that it was done until 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Corryn
I hope you don't mind but I was short of info for this weeks newsletter so thought I would promote your website & your insights about Red Shield Appeal to the people of Timaru
Hope you don't mind
God Bless
Donna