18 May 2007

Ouch.

I am typing much slower tonight. Because I look similar to that smurf on the right.

I did the dumbest thing at lunch time today. Trying to cut open a panini, the knife sliced through a decent way into my ring finger of my left hand. It literally was half a second before blood starting pumping out with each pump of my heart. Kaboom - blood. Kaboom - blood. You get the picture.

I grabbed the closest thing - a clean handtowel - and applied a lot of pressure. I turned the oven off and realised that I couldn't put a plaster on it because (1) I only have little kids ones and the wouldn't cut it on this occasion, and (2) I couldn't remove the pressure from the finger to grab a plaster without a teaspoon of blood coming out every second. (And I am NOT good with blood!)

I rushed up to the main building, where fortunately Jill fixed me up. I was a little worried when I saw blood seeping through and she suggested getting some sort of drink with a lot of sugar because I was shaking. So I spent the next hour on my couch applying pressure (just to help out) and drinking coke. Then I realised there was blood on the oven. Argh. So I cleaned it and chucked out the ruined panini.

The finger is still throbbing and, due to Jill's remarkable first aid, my finger is four times the size of the rest, but I think it's stopped bleeding. I think I may survive! Thanks, Jill. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats not good that you cut yourself i hope your fingure is fine and take care from amy ferguson.

Aunty Bob said...

LOVE THE NEW LOOK BLOGSPOT. SMOOTH, SLEEK LINES - VERY NICE.

Corryn said...

Update on the wound...
Simon started talking about infections so this morning I took off the dressing and let Janine inspect it as she used to be a nurse. It looked awful. But apparently is healing fine, with the skin that was separated starting to join.
The bonus being Murray gave me plasters from the kitchen first aid kit to re-do it, so now my finger is bright pink. Hard to miss!!