11 January 2007

My first thoughts of Timaru


Well, Timaru is a lot bigger than I thought! Apparently it is a city of about 35 000 … okay, not Hamilton or Wellington, but more than meets my needs.

I’m pretty much right near Caroline Bay, which is gorgeous and have a primo house and garden. The house is very similar to my own tastes, which is great … and there is even a gardener who comes so I won’t have the chance to kill off the garden. (Phew!)

Timaru has pretty much just the one main street of shops, but is a lot longer than I expected and has many of the chain stores I normally shop at. There’s also a lot of cafes that I might just have to try out. I’ll confess this is the time I wish my girl friends were around to try them out with me, but I will get used to it – and there is always making new friends at the church!

I haven’t had a Sunday at Timaru yet, so I am still to meet most of the Corps (church) people, but I’ve been on a few visitation rounds with the officers (Majors Rex and Glenis) which has been good. Actually it is probably easier because it gives me the opportunity to actually learn the names and stories of them rather than be overloaded all at once.

I had my first day at the Corps today. It’s been a bit of overload, but I’ve been making a lot of mental and physical notes of all sorts of things. I know I will get mocked for saying this but I had forgotten how tiring it can be doing a full day’s work! (Keep in mind for the last year, it’s been mostly intellectual for me!)

There’s a lot to get my head around, and I know there will be challenges as well as adventures, but I think I am quite going to like Timaru.

Will keep in touch.

4 comments:

Aunty Bob said...

And what about the weather Corryn? I've decided I was wrong - it is cold down here - not really bad - but colder than up North - except Central Otago which is hotter than anywhere in the summer. Anyway that's what makes Dunedin what it is and I love it here so that's ok. Cool that you have a great place to live. There is a coffee shop on the main street that does home baking and sells cakes for 50c each at the end of the day - we found it on the way down - don't know the name so that's no help.

Anonymous said...

New creation is Sue - still trying to work out how to publish under Aunty Bob.

CheekyUkie said...

WOW that's sounds KOOL down thr in da southhhhhhhhhhhhhh where they roll the Raaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... hehe.

Foogirl said...

Hey Crinny

Too bad you couldn't crop my stomach out of the Awesome Foursome photo :) I'm just as excited as you that Timaru has shops - isn't that such an Aucklander comment! - Oh well - you said it first :) (didn't you???). Take care little one and I hope you settle in lovely jubbly.

Will talk soon :)