11 March 2007

Some of the sites of Dunedin

Below: 'The Wedding Cake" ... except this is the real one, and I couldn't take the top off it, unlike the replica at College! This is the spot where the Salvation Army started in NZ, as the plaque above shows. It was cool to see a place I have heard about since I was a little girl.

Baldwin St ... the world's steepest street. The gradient at the steepest part is 1:286. It is a lot steeper than what it looks in the photo.
I know this sounds a little morbid, but we went for a drive through one of Dunedin's oldest cemeteries .... people buried around the 1880s. Didn't recognise any names (even the ones Sue said were famous!) but were amazed and the size of the headstones and the details on them.
In the Highland capital of NZ, we even managed to catch a bagpipe parade. These are some of the guys from Taupo, so I cheered loudly ... they nearly came from as far away as me! (If you count me coming from Hamilton.)
The No1 Corps. I'm not too sure exactly what that means, if it is the first Corps in NZ or what, but I know for a long time, this was the big kahuna of Salvation Army citadels. It's pretty cool to look at, and we cracked up when someone peeked out the window after the camera went. (Turns out it is rented out as a flat or something now!)

No comments: