11 March 2007

My Visit South

So I headed off on Thursday morning for my first trip to Dunedin ... via the service station. I had filled up the day before in preparation but I discovered I needed oil. I had no idea how to put it in my car (Dad taught me how to check, but not what to do if it needed some), so I had to ask the service station attendant. A pride breaker for a girl like me who likes to think she is independent!!

However, I made it in the end. I loved the trip. The country gets green again below the Canterbury plains, much to my delight. Then the hills! Blimey. I would have hated to drive over them in my previous little grey car - I doubt I would have made it up!

It was fab to see Sue and her daughter Teri-Anne again. They look like they have settled in to life in the deep south and Teri-Anne has picked up the strong Southern accent, much to my delight. I think she got sick of having to say "girl", "tiger" and any other word I could think of that made her say "errrrrrr". Oh the laughs!

We went to the Poo Palace (Water Treatment Plant) for youth group to see how it all got cleaned up (with the point of showing how Jesus cleans our sin). Oh the pong. Eyeck. But highly amusing to see Sue in a hardhat.

I had a look around the Community Ministries in Dunedin, as well as the Corps complex where eventually all the work of the Army in Dunners (as I discovered it is called) will be based: Employment Plus, Bridge, Oasis, Food Bank, Budgeting, Corps and Community Ministries. It would be quite interesting to go back in a years time to see how it looks and is working.

Sue and I went to the Courts and after getting Teri-Anne went all over town looking at the sites. (see below). Anywhos, it was educational but also a very nice break and left me refreshed to take on the final four weeks of Out-Training.


Above: Sue.

Below: me and Teri-Anne.

1 comment:

CheekyUkie said...

Hey that's a cool idea of taking da youth to da poo plant hmmm... I'll have to use that one day as soon as I find out where the poo plant in Auckland is sniff sniff, nope it's not over there? Also, cool to hear bout ur trip to Dunedinerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... take care YO!