25 March 2007

My Iroquois Adventure

Yeah sure the Air Force are about to replace them with lots of new aircraft but it didn't stop my excitement at being able to go up in the Iroquois when the boys of RNZAF Squadron 3 (hehe...don't I sound all official!) had to go drop off a search and rescue team in Peel Forest. It was absolutely fabulous.

Sure, I'm scared of heights and there are no doors on the side of the helicopter, but the nice cop beside me made sure I was well buckled in and the views were incredible. I would so jump at the chance to do this again!

Above: The Iroquois just landed.

Below: The view out of the side of the helicopter. You can see what I think is the Canterbury Plains. The view is incredible. Isn't it awesome! I just kept thinking how great a job God did in creating the landscape of New Zealand. Above: Looking forward into the cockpit. (Are they still called that in a helicopter?) The pilots were only about my age, which seemed a little crazy ... they are far too young to be old enough!

Below: One of the teams that we dropped off at the top of a hill. P.S. So I did make myself laugh a couple of times whilst in the Iroquois. (Sadly!) The only one I will share is when I was looking at the crewmen in their helmets (I really didn't like not being able to see their faces) and thought to myself how they had so much gear on it was like they belonged in the Air Force or something. Then the d'uh hit. They are in the Air Force!

3 comments:

Annette said...

What did you have to sell to get to go in the helicopter.. I am so jealous.... All we get to do is sort clothes in the family store lately.... That is about exciting as it gets... Unless you count the Rita Angus Retirement home preach I have to do on Wednesday....

Chris H said...

Wow - what can I say about those views!? NZ is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Amazing photography, you captured the beauty of God's creation wonderfully.
Glad you got to go on a flight & enjoy some of what the south island has to offer - including custard squares.