12 September 2007

Orongomai Marae

So as part of our course, and doing some cultural immersion, all us cadets and whanau packed up and spent last weekend at Orongomai Marae. It was an awesome experience - both the Maori aspect, the learning aspect, and just the 'bonding' that comes about with a huge group living together. The food was spectacular too!

We went Friday afternoon, led by Shelley and Sue as kaikaranga's (doing the 'call' as we headed onto the marae) and then completed the powhiri (welcome) inside. This time I even hongi-ed without whacking foreheads too hard!

I really loved all the art ... I love how they tell stories. I spent a great deal of time looking at the carvings and tokutoku panels ... I have a lot of respect for the artists. It's incredible.

The night was looong (have you ever tried to get adults, tweens and preschoolers to go to sleep in the same room but at different times?) and I was glad I wasn't a parent and could just enjoy it. In saying that the kids were really well behaved and once the lights were out ... well eventually people nodded off.

Except me. I was stuck between two snorers. I won't mention names but I was surprised by one (the lowest and loudest) being a six year old boy!!

Reuben and Naomi.
Tiko by one of the carvings inside.
Perry, Simon and Sue
Me, Naomi, Patrick and Reuben
Kate, Hannah and Christina

No comments: